Monday, March 08, 2010

If Wishes Were Fishes...

I wish that I was a godly woman of great encouragment to others. I wish that I knew intuitively, how to be a great hostess. I wish I was a woman whose home knew no strangers. I'm not, though...and we live far enough out of town and in the opposite direction of every one else, that no one wants to come out here to just "stop by" for a visit. This, compounded by the fact that I am rather shy, makes hospitality an act of stepping forth from the ole comfort zone. As for the encouragement part...well, I am one of those people who thinks of the right thing to say 2 or three days later.  I try to be a good listener, though.  If I tried to pinpoint a specific "gift" that I have...well, listening would be it.

The thing that is great about listening is that you tend to watch people also.  By doing so, I have actually been learning quite a bit from a few of the ladies around me who are blessed with the gifts that I do no have.  These gifts may not come naturally, but, some of them can be learned.  Take hospitality for instance...I have a wonderful friend who is just a natural.  Even if she is just serving Mac-n-cheese, you feel like the guest of honor at a royal banquet.  She has everything set out, just so. There are candles, sometimes soft music, and she serves tea in beautiful cups that she has collected, if there is a wait for the meal. Several years back she tried to encourage some of us to be a bit more hospitable.  I began to shake. How would I do it?  What would I serve? What if they wanted to TALK or something?!? Then, I looked to my friend's example. Well, I do not have the lovely collection of pretty tea cups and saucers and I often forget to ask my guest(s) if they would like any refreshment, but, I do have a godly example set before me by my friend.  She has challenged me to be more courageous, hospitable, and transparent as a Christian.  I am learning from her, whether she knows it or not, and I try to imitate many of the examples that she has placed before me.  I figure that someday I will find my own rythmn and such, but, for now...I am learning all that I can.  Thank you, Julianne.

As for learning to be an encouragement to others...well, I am working on that.  I have shortened my response delay time to about 18 hours...but, it is getting better and well, God is not done with me yet.

God bless you all!

No comments: